Man hospitalized after downtown Fresno apartment fire

FRESNO, Calif. (KFSN) — A man is believed to be hospitalized with smoke inhalation and it all started when food caught on fire in his apartment.

Firefighters worked to contain the blaze at the Fig Garden Villa Apartments on Fedora and Blackstone last night.

The Fresno Fire Department says food in a pan on the stove caught fire, creating a lot of smoke that quickly filled the singles apartment.

The smoke detector alerted the rest of the building to the situation.

The department says because it’s a large building, about 30 people had to take shelter on the spot.

A man was taken to the hospital and treated for smoke inhalation.

But it was the swift action of his neighbors that saved him from the smoky room.

“We couldn’t get the door open in time, so we went around the back and it hung halfway around,” says Linda Wilson.

Firefighters couldn’t say what was burning in the pan on the stove, but said anything left unattended in the kitchen could cause a dangerous situation.

This man is expected to do well.

The fire department also said that a dog also lived in the apartment and also escaped to safety.

Copyright © 2022 KFSN-TV. All rights reserved.

Comments are closed.