Many counties in our area are offering sandbags or at least sandbag-filling stations for free to residents.
NEVADA COUNTY, Calif. — With more storms on the horizon, many counties in the Sacramento area are offering sandbags or sandbag-filling stations to the people who live there.
To find a filling station or sandbags near you, look below.
This list is not exhaustive.
Amador County Office of Emergency Services Coordinator Sgt. Jeff Bellotti said, “Amador County will have a self-serve sandbag location at our county airport located at 12380 Airport Road in Sutter Creek.”
The county is not offering sandbags at this time.
The Nevada County Office of Emergency Services offers free sand and sandbags for Nevada County residents every year between Oct. 1 and April 30. They’re available at five locations:
1) Next to the Nevada County Warehouse located at: the corner of Highway 49 and East Broad Street, Nevada City, CA 95959
2) Penn Valley Fire Protection District located at: 10513 Spenceville Road, Penn Valley, CA 95946
3) North San Juan Community Hall located at: 10057 Reservoir Street, North San Juan, CA 95960
4) Higgins Fire Department located at: 10106 Combie Road, Auburn, CA 95602
5) Peardale Chicago Park Station 57 located at: 18934 Colfax Hwy, Grass Valley, CA 95945
Nevada County’s website says, “Residents must bring a strong back and their own shovel to fill the sandbags with sand. We do ask that residents only take what they plan to use for the protection of their personal property.”
Placer County spokesperson Chris Gray-Garcia said, “We encourage residents to first turn to the commercial establishments; the local city and county-provided sites are intended as an option of last resort.”
There are many sandbag-filling locations. Those are listed HERE.
On Wednesday, the county said, “The National Weather Service is forecasting some rivers and streams in Sacramento County may reach flood stage due to the incoming storm. The Sacramento County Department of Water Resources (DWR) wants to remind residents in the unincorporated areas there are three sandbag locations open. These locations have been open since November and are for residents who believe their property will be in danger from the heavy rains resulting in flooding.”
Those three locations are:
1) Branch Center (3847 Branch Center Rd., Sacramento, 95827)
2) Orangevale Community Center (6826 Hazel Ave., Orangevale, 95662)
3) Westside Park (6555 West 2nd St., Rio Linda,95673)
California Winter Storm: Incoming atmospheric rivers | Timing and Totals